We recently (October 2019) opened the Angela’s House Home Store. It is a retail outlet with new and gently used home goods, furniture, building supplies, etc. It is our hope to partner with students to collaborate and find new and innovative ways to market this social enterprise to get sales as well as donations of these items from people who would otherwise discard them. The proceeds of the store go to the programs offered by Angela’s House, a local 501(c)3 non-profit on Long Island, which assists medically fragile children obtain services and supports to have the best quality of life possible. This is an exciting opportunity as it’s really a two-in-one project as they will learn about Angela’s House and the Angela’s House Home Store.
HOST VENUE ADDRESS
- Students will be on site at the Angela’s House Home Store. Address is: 2052 Route 112, Medford, NY 11763.
- There are no pre-reqs required for this position, however interest/experience in marketing and social media advertising would be helpful.
- Students will learn about the landscape of non-profits on Long Island, NY.
- Students will know how to design a social media marketing strategy to gain new corporate donors (companies in the construction/building/appliance/real estate industries), including content and audience.
- Students will know how to design a social media marketing strategy to gain new individual donors (people who have new/gently used items in their home that they would like to donate), including content and audience.
- Students will know how to design a social media marketing strategy to gain new followers, that will ideally translate to new shoppers.
- Students will identify other marketing strategies that are beneficial and cost-effective to a fledgling non-profit.
Course Info & Engagement Details
|School||Masters in Business Administration (MBA)|
|Course||MBA IMPACT Interterm (SPRING 2020)|
|Students Enrolled||120 Enrolled, 2-5 per group per project|
|Meeting Day & Time||3/2 - 3/5/2019 on-site at host company|
|Student Time Commitment||1-3 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||3-5 Hours|
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
There are currently no students assigned.
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Submission|
Key Milestones & Project Process
March 1, 2020 - Prior to Meeting
Angela’s House staff will provide background material on the non-profit, the children we work with, the Angela’s House Home Store, and other collateral materials.
Basic understanding of the non-profit to use as foundation for experience on-site.
March 2, 2020 - Site Visit to Angela's House
Students will visit one of the Angela’s House homes to meet some of the children who live there (and possibly some of their families), be able to speak to staff & participate in a tour of the space.
- Students will have a more through understanding of the history & mission of Angela’s House,
- Students will understand the link between the Angela’s House Home Store as a social enterprise and how the proceeds impact the children in the programs.
March 2, 2020 - Visit the Angela's House Home Store
Students will be lead on a tour by the Manager and Donation Manager of the Angela’s House Home Store. Both staff members will share their experience working in a business model such as this, show students the process for donations/pick-up of donations, mention the other “players” (competitors in this space), talk to staff (drivers, cashiers, etc.) to learn all facets of the company. Students will also set up their workstations for the duration of the program.
- Students will have a better understanding of the Angela’s House Home Store business model and other similar organizations,
- Students will know the processes and procedures in place.
March 3, 2020 - Assess current social media assets & goals / look at competitors in the space
Angela’s House and the Angela’s House Home Store currently have very active social media presence on Facebook and Instagram. In order to create a social media plan for the Angela’s House Home Store, students will spend time reviewing the current accounts, trends that work, and other insights (provided by the Angela’s House staff). Upon review, students will sit with staff to understand goals for the future. Students will also spend some time looking at other companies in this space (on Long Island and elsewhere) that are social enterprises and for-profit entities.
- Students will understand the past trends for posts,
- Students will have a greater understanding of other companies (non-profit & for-profit) that are in the same space (will review their websites, social media pages, etc.),
- Students will help identify a way to engage new supporters (new page followers, new donors [individuals & businesses]),
- Students will develop new ways to engage potential partners [real estate agents, estate sales companies, contractors, building supply companies, etc.].
March 4, 2020 - Assess current social media assets & goals / look at competitors in the space / build strategy
Students will continue to have access to key staff to ask questions. They can spend a portion of the day continuing to sift through their findings, however, the day should end with a complete plan of action/suggestions for the organization for improving social media strategy.
Students will have a completed presentation to share the following day.
March 5, 2020 - Presentation
Students will make their presentation to the Executive Director of Angela’s House as well as key staff.
Students will provide Angela’s House a copy of their findings, suggestions and social media plan for 2020 and moving forward.
There are no resources currently available