Heart of the Horse is a 2-year old institution in Tucson, Arizona thatÔÇÖs growing very quickly. They now generate revenue using four different product categories, including Equine Therapy, Horse Boarding, Trail Rides, and Riding Training. In the last year, the company has scaled to over 150K in revenue and needs help tracking their revenue, expenses, and capital investments. At this time, most of their financials are hand recorded, so theyÔÇÖre looking for help converting performance into a modern format with an established process for keeping it up-to-date and current. TheyÔÇÖre also looking for help converting those financials into projections so they can begin to set realistic goals and think through the necessary requirements in order to reach new heights. Part of this exercise will also include goal setting for the business and providing recommendations on how the company can scale at a pace thatÔÇÖs manageable in the short and mid-term. The ranch is located in beautiful Tucson, Arizona and operates similar to a community center, with many diverse part-time employees that volunteer to help care for the property and the horses.┬á
Students who enroll in this course will:
- Learn how to establish practical financial statements that showcase basic business performance over time
- Understand how to convert financial statements into projections using a set of key assumptions
- Be able to coach an entrepreneur on how to use financial models and projections to set realistic goals for the business┬á
This opportunity would be most ideal for students that are interested in outdoor, ranch-style living and building successful lifestyle businesses. Basic understanding of financial statements and modeling is a must.┬á
PLEASE NOTE: Participants will be required to sign a non-disclosure project agreement regarding the handling of confidential information and intellectual property.
Logistics: This ÔÇ£IntertermÔÇØ Immersion will be based in Tucson, Arizona. Students will need to secure transportation and lodging on their own. Additional details on travel can be found under ÔÇ£Travel Reimbursement DetailsÔÇØ at the front of this document.┬á
Course Info & Engagement Details
|School||Masters in Business Administration (MBA)|
|Course||MBA IMPACT Interterm (SPRING 2020)|
|Students Enrolled||120 Enrolled, 2-5 per group per project|
|Meeting Day & Time||3/2 - 3/5/2019 on-site at host company|
|Student Time Commitment||1-3 Hours Per Week|
|Company Time Commitment||3-5 Hours|
There are currently no supervisors assigned.
There are currently no students assigned.
|Touchpoints & Assignments||Due Date||Submission|
Key Milestones & Project Process
March 2, 2019 - Business Model, Competitor, and KPI Analysis
- As an onboarding exercise, the Heart of the Horse wants you to get up-to-speed on their business.
- They’d like you to start by doing a deep dive on their products and industry.
- What similar products exist? How are they implemented into healthcare systems and facilities?
- What best practices can you learn when it comes to large-scale implementations of technology and other resources within existing customers?
March 3, 2019 - Financial Data Deep Dive
- Heart of the Horse wants you to better understand their current financial position and process of recording financial performance including key ledger categories.
March 4, 2019 - Establish Financial Model and 3-5 Year Projection
- Heart of the Horse needs help organizing their financial model and basic financial statements
- They would also like help crafting 3-5 year projections for the business based on existing performance
March 5, 2019 - Final Presentation
- Heart of the Horse is looking for a comprehensive overview of the work that was done. Prepare a presentation and paper that provides an overview of the process that was used and the results that were ultimately generated.
There are no resources currently available